Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) Lead in Pulmonary Rehab
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
April 18, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
2 Year Degree
JOB SUMMARY: This Lead Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) working in Pulmonary Rehab functions as the lead person generally for an assigned shift and/or area and in this capacity performs lead job duties including projects or specialized responsibilities as a regular part of their normal job responsibilities. Serves as the liaison between management, staff and physicians for routine matters as the primary point of contact for resolving questions and issues for RCP’s as well as support staff, resulting in the delivery of exceptional patient care and adherence to standards of practice for optimal patient safety, quality outcomes, and customer service. Duties may be varied and may include many of the following: organize work schedules, assign work, review and edit time cards for accuracy, conduct quality assurance audits of staff performance, develop and implement quality improvement activities, train and mentor staff, provide feedback on staff performance and developmental needs, participate in the development of skills and performance of staff, lead and regularly perform special projects, collect/analyze/report on data, prepare reports on performance and metrics, and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Consistently demonstrates our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using Houston Methodist Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Role models to team members effective communication skills, assisting in their development of such skills.
2. Orients, guides and mentors team members consisting of Certified and Registered RCP I & II levels, students and support staff, to help build confidence and competency in skills, knowledge and abilities.
3. Effectively implements protocols and objectives with team members to result in optimization of staff performance, teamwork, patient safety, and customer service. Provides feedback to management on team member performance and conduct. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Maintains responsibility for program development, implementation, standards, protocols, policies and procedures.
2. Provides for the physical needs of patients, performing pulmonary rehab procedures to include advanced procedures as assigned such as advanced pulmonary diagnostics.
3. Evaluates patient’s physical status for pulmonary rehabilitation candidacy and exercise tolerance through history taking, cardiopulmonary physical exam, exercise testing, medical record review, and monitoring response to exercise training.
4. Evaluates patients and recommends therapeutic interventions. Works independently exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills in challenging procedures and patient care situations.
5. Devises and implements an individualized plan of care based on physiologic data, assessment of educational level, psychosocial needs and rehabilitation goals, to assist patient in reaching their maximum rehabilitation potential.
6. Facilitates acquisition of medical equipment including portable oxygen when needed.
7. Documents short-term and long-term measurable outcomes of pulmonary rehabilitation.
8. Coordinates and demonstrates the ability to teach all components of the program, including lung anatomy and function, disease process, use of home respiratory equipment, pursed lip and diaphragmatic breathing, dyspnea and panic control techniques, energy conservation with activities of daily living, chest physiotherapy, secretion clearance, respiratory medications, role of oxygen therapy and portable systems, nutrition, stress management techniques, and smoking cessation.
9. Coordinates all patient scheduling including intake, exercise and educational sessions.
10. Accurately and timely completes patient care documentation in the patient medical record.
11. Accurately and timely complete patient charges.
12. Works with the referring provider to obtain new orders, medical information and qualifying documentation for rehab participation as needed.
13. Attends monthly department staff meetings and completes 100% of mandatory educational activities.
14. Serves as liaison between team members, management and physicians, resolving routine matters for the shift/area.
15. Proactively identifies needs for adjustment/intervention for optimum patient care and experience.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Follows safety standards, policies and procedures established for pulmonary rehab, the department and hospital. Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives and standards of practice. Reports “near misses” and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends.
2. Conducts quality audits on equipment, processes, outcomes and team member performance. Documents, develops and evaluates processes, procedures and outcomes. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement, providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
3. Provides direct assistance to physicians, performing tests as ordered, assessing and assuring quality, acceptability and reliability of results; takes corrective action and involves others as needed toward achievement of this end.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks and provides leadership to team members on effective and efficient utilization of time. If assigned, accurately reviews and edits team members’ time cards for management approval.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Participates in departmental projects. Leads one or more departmental committees or subcommittees and facilitates the accomplishment of the goals of the committee or subcommittee.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a RCP and lead.
3. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: 4 years experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) to include at least 2 years ICU level experience, experience with Neonatal and ER, and lead/supervisor experience. May consider Houston Methodist employee with at least 3 years RCP experience and of which at least 1 year is as a Houston Methodist RCP and who demonstrates leadership abilities. Prior experience working in Pulmonary Rehab is strongly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Registered as Respiratory Therapist by National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC-RRT)
Licensed as Respiratory Care Practitioner by the Texas Medical Board (TMB-RCP)
One of the following Respiratory Specialty Credentials: Adult Critical Care Specialist (ACCS), Neonatal Pediatric Specialist (NPS), Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist (CPFT), Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (RPFT), Sleep Disorders Specialist (SDS), Certified Asthma Educator (AEC), Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (CTTS), Certified Case Manager (CCM), or Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT)
American Heart Association BLS
American Heart Association ACLS
American Heart Association Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
American Heart Association PALS may be required if at HMH, HMSL, HMWB, HMW, HMTWH, or HMSJ of certain employees depending on area assigned (in these cases, employee has 90 days from notice of requirement to obtain and entity management is responsible for documentation and tracking); if at HMStJ PALS required within 90 days of hire/promotion; PALS not required if at HMStC
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going evaluations consisting of one or more of the following: skills, competency assessments and/or performance reviews
Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult diagnostic procedures and patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills
Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Respiratory Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Internal Number: 37405
About Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly boun...d. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.