Licensed Practical Nurse - MOHS Dermatology
The Licensed Practical Nurse will:
- Support the licensed healthcare team members in the provision of patient care to include direct patient care, providing healthcare information to patients/families, and following established plan of care
- Work in close collaboration with the RN or a licensed healthcare team member to evaluate the patient's plan of care and progress toward goal attainment
- All patient care activities are undertaken with the delegation/supervision of a licensed professional in accordance with VUMC standards and licensure regulations
Your skin is your body's first defense against infection and disease. Vanderbilt Dermatology offers a full range of services to get your skin healthy and keep it healthy. We offer many noninvasive therapies, such as medication and light treatments, for a wide range of conditions. Should surgery be the best course, our experienced surgeons treat malignant and nonmalignant tumors. The department also provides pediatric and cosmetic services.
Mohs Micrographic Surgery removes skin affected by skin cancer while protecting as much normal tissue as possible. Named after Frederic E. Mohs, MD, who developed it, this technique is useful for large or aggressive tumors with indistinct borders, near vital functional or cosmetic structures and for tumors where other therapies have failed.
This technique is time consuming, but the accuracy and chance for complete removal of skin cancer is very good. Although no surgeon or technique can guarantee a 100% chance of cure, this surgical technique offers a 97%-99% chance for the complete removal of skin cancers.
After the surgeon removes the visible portion of the tumor, two steps follow. First the physician removes the skin at the base of the defect created when the tumor was removed. Next, the clinician examines this tissue under a microscope. If any tumor is seen during the microscopic examination, clinicians establish its location and remove a thin layer of additional tissue. The entire process is repeated until no tumor is seen on the microscopic examination.
This clinic is open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Achieve the Remarkable:
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
* Nursing Careers: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/index.html
* Benefits: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/benefits.html
* Our Nursing Philosophy: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/philosophy.html
* Our Nursing Leadership: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/leadership.html
* Shared Governance: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/shared-governance.html
* Education & Professional Development: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/professional-development.html
* Life In Nashville: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/nashville.html
* VUMC Nursing: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=vanderbilt-nursing
- Collaborates with patients/families and health care providers in the delivery of health care services.
- Partners with the healthcare team by following established plan of care to ensure patient progress for effective outcomes.
- Support plans to promote health and a safe and healthy environment.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LPN PATIENT EDUCATION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate patient education in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
LPN CARE PLANNING (NOVICE):- Participates in the development of the plan of care in consultation with the licensed healthcare team. Demonstrates ability to anticipate resource needs, identify distinct tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work within areas of direct responsibility. Competently handles multiple assignments often simultaneously, prioritizing work into manageable and measurable units. Ability to adapt to changes to patient care and area needs with minimal disruption and loss of productivity. Follows up to assure problems and issues are resolved.
CLINICAL PATIENT DOCUMENTATION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate patient documentation in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments. Contributes to the nursing assessment by collecting, reporting, and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner.
CLINICAL COMPETENCY (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate nursing interventions (such as wound care, point of care testing, vitals signs, etc.) in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
- Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
- Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- - Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- - Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- - Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- - Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- - Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- - Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- - Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- - Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- - Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- - Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- - Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt Health recognizes that diversity is essential for excellence and innovation. We are committed to an inclusive environment where everyone has the chance to thrive and to the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. EOE/AA/Women/Minority/Vets/Disabled