Location: Kingston, New York
An Occupational Therapist is a rehabilitation professional that performs a functional evaluation of the client; conducts the planning and utilization of a program of purposeful activities; implements the development and utilization of a treatment program, and/or consultation with the client, family, caregiver or organization in order to restore, develop or maintain adaptive skills, and/or performance abilities designed to achieve maximal physical, cognitive and mental functioning of the client associated with his or her activities of daily living and daily life tasks. A treatment program designed to restore function, shall be rendered on the prescription or referral of a physician, nurse practitioner or other health care provider acting within his or her scope of practice pursuant to this title. They evaluate, treat, and prevent disability, injury and disease so as to maximize functional independence. They provide supervision to certified Occupational Therapy Assistants (COTA).
- Evaluates and assesses the patient based on subjective and objective information obtained through interview, medical chart review, formal and informal test administration, with appropriate analysis and interpretation of results, to develop a plan of care. Establishes a written treatment plan based upon the results of the evaluation to establish objective, measurable, functional patient focused goals with time frames. Re-assesses the patient's status when goals are not met or when a change in status has occurred. Involves patient/family in establishing the treatment plan and accommodates for individual needs (cultural differences, language, etc.)
- Administers treatment in an organized, professional manner adhering to all department/hospital policies, best practice standards, NYS practice acts and physician protocols. Implements and updates treatment programs to ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Completes all documentation (evaluation, re-assessments, daily notes and discharge summaries) within established timeframes and according to regulatory guidelines. Provides written and/or verbal communication to referral sources, insurance companies, patients, families, and other members of the interdisciplinary team (Discharge planning/SW/other therapy personnel/nursing staff) in a timely fashion. Participates in team, interdisciplinary meetings as appropriate.
- Maintains a positive, professional working rapport with patients, peers and referral sources. Keeps referral sources abreast of patient's status in a timely manner. Willing to assist other members of the interdisciplinary team when asked.
- Assists in performance improvement activities as needed to ensure quality is consistent with established guidelines to improve patient care.
- Maintains a productive caseload and productively utilizes non-scheduled treatment time. Communicates with manager/director regarding their schedule and use of nonproductive time to enhance efficiency
- Participates in educational in-services, meetings, community programs and performance improvement activities as requested by Manager/Director. Provide training to health care providers as directed by manager/director (students, volunteers).
- Effectively oversees the care rendered by Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants and Physical Medicine aides.
- Maintains all department equipment and treatment areas in a clean and safe manner.
- Provides accurate billing information in a timely manner, maintains compliance with insurance guidelines, and completes all required documentation for reimbursement.
- Performs other assignments / duties as assigned.
Have satisfactorily completed an approved occupational therapy curriculum in a baccalaureate or master's program, or a certificate program satisfactory to the NYS education department which is substantially equivalent to a baccalaureate degree program, in accordance with the NYS commissioner's regulations
OT experience preferred
Licensed and registered to practice in New York State or eligible for limited permit.Completion of clinical training required by professional program
CPR certification.Job Specific Contacts