Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
The Office Specialist provides clerical services and support for the clinical and administrative staff in the Therapy Connection.
- Answers telephone promptly in a courteous, helpful, and informative manner and directs calls to appropriate staff. Anticipates callers' needs and spontaneously addresses them.
- Distributes informational packets to newpatients with forms to be completed by them.
- Scans into Meditech insurance cards, identification and necessary registration documents.
- Prepares daily printed schedules and charge sheets for Therapists.
- Verifies both paper and Meditech charts daily for updated scripts and insurance information.
- Appropriately arrives patient visit in Meditech or notes account for cancellation or no show.
- Accepts and records payments from patients: inclusive of writing account numbers on checks, issuing receipts for payments.
- Confirms insurance information with all patients when they check in for appointments and informs Business Coordinator when needed, clinical staff about any insurance changes.
- Completes written summary of changes reported. Proposes or pursues recommendations for solving insurance problems.
Patient Scheduling and Registration
- Works diligently to maintain customer confidentially during the registration process taking appropriate measures to safeguard information.
- Uses the Meditech Scheduling System to schedule patient appointments. Backfills vacant appointment times created by cancellations and no shows
- Confirms evaluation appointments by telephone and/or mail.
- Verifies insurance status for all daily appointments via Emdeon (for all mapped payers)
- In the event of a therapist call or weather event communicates with clinical staff and alters patient's schedules.
- Type letters, memos, meeting minutes, and intakes from dictation or handwritten notes. Completes typing assignments with exceptional speed and accuracy.
- Accurately files charts and correspondence. Proposes and implements improvements in the Therapy Connection filing system.
- Compiles new charts for evaluations
- Reproduces materials that are not copyrighted.
Assists Business Coordinator
- Maintains adequate stock levels on all office supplies and forms used in the department.
- Faxes treatment report forms and other information needed by insurance companies, referral sources and business office to authorize treatment.
- Assists in preparing case records for insurance review, in responding to subpoenas, and when copies are requested by patients and other providers.
Performs required educational training through internal and external resources.
- Attends all mandatory meetings and completes all mandatory trainings within the designated timeframes. Identifies job related learning needs and pursues additional training.
Performs other related duties as assigned.Qualifications/Requirements:
A minimum of one year prior secretarial experience preferred in a busy office setting where responsibilities included performing multiple tasks.
High school diploma required. Associates degree with a business related major preferred.
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks in a busy office environment.
- Proven skills in problem solving and interpersonal relationships.
- Able to function as a team member.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.